Now I have a lump of wood that’s roughly nyckelharpa shaped, it’s time to start cutting bits off to get the shape closer to the final object. First I needed to mark out what would be needed, so I made a template.
The first step is to glue together the large blocks of wood from which the body and neck will be cut. I decided to use a waterproof glue that will not creep for this – because I’m trying to emulate a solid block of wood. I was surprised to find Cascamite still available – it’s a wonderful urea formaldehyde glue – and it smells just like it did when I was young, when my father built a large model boat using it.
Great Edinburgh Shetland Fiddlers session at the Diggers this evening – took both fiddle and nyckelharpa and both got a lot of exercise. Sorry forgot to take photos, was too involved with the music 🙂