There has been a lot of hype in the media about this comet, but it was never going to be really bright. I started to think about trying a photo as it approached its brightest, but the weather made this difficult. However I finally got the chance to try properly when the skies cleared yesterday.
This is a heavily processed image, made by adding 26 exposures each of 10 seconds, taken using my 500mm focal length f/4 (approximately) Skywatcher Startravel 102T telescope with a Nikon D3100 DSLR on an alt-az tracking mount. The camera was set to ISO 3200. The image stacking was done with DeepSkyStacker, followed by a little image processing there, then rather more adjustment using Gimp. Continue reading →
Posts have been sparse this year. I am really pleased with my telescope but haven’t yet taken any more photos that I consider to be worth posting about. Most communication is directly with friends and family, which is definitely what I prefer; I have pretty well had enough of social media. I’m looking forward to a peaceful festive season and hoping for a better New Year for everyone.
In March last year I obtained a photo of the Orion nebula that I was quite pleased with, but later was a little frustrated that my old 3 inch (75mm) aperture refracting telescope was a bit wobbly on my new alt-az driven mount, as it’s so long. I have been trying an assortment of long photographic lenses, but this year took the plunge and got a compact 500mm focal length telescope with a 100mm objective lens.
I have finally been able to try it out in dark skies, and was first of all really pleased by the view of M42 through the eyepiece. A few days later I was able to get the camera on the end of the telescope, and the very first image on the back of the camera had me amazed. It was just a 20 second exposure, but showed so much.
The image above is a stacked composite of 8 images, total 160 seconds exposure, ISO 1600, using RAW format. I fiddled a bit with the contrast etc to get the result here, but I can see that I will have a lot of fun with this setup.
A few people have asked about drawings and dimensions for my Moraharpa. I worked from various sources online but drew my own, and worked out what I would need for a keybox similar to a kontrabas keybox; I did not want the “authentic” original and rather limited keybox.
The body is finished now, but I am still finishing fitting the keys in the keybox!
I have been waiting for a suitable occasion in nice weather to record this for a month or two. The tune has been on my list of those to learn properly for a while, and I think “Pigopolskan” is a great tune.
Recording near some running water seemed like quite a good idea, and I think it was. I must get a wind shield for the recorder though, there are one or two blowy moments. In fact I used this first proper take rather than the second as that one began with a loud buzzing insect on the microphone!