This website has now settled down after a bit of frantic activity to re-organise stuff. The reorganisation isn’t completed yet but what’s left is routine and will get done over the next few weeks.

It means that I have stopped posting blog stuff on Facebook. I will in due course collect together my rants about that platform, but for the moment I’m happy to have things organised in a way that will suit future posting for music, amateur radio or any of my other interests. I will continue to use Facebook for its groups (principally music groups) which I find useful to keep in touch with people who are unlikely to shift to indie mechanisms in the near future. However, posts there will also be links back to this website (or another of those I own), if I’m saying anything I want to keep.

Here are a few points collected during the move:

  1. I started a Joomla website on marwynandjohn.uk some time ago (September 2016) to test out using a CMS for blogging. Prior to that I had the handcrafted site at marwynandjohn.org.uk which is still there as an archive until I decide exactly how to deal with it; however I had used the Joomla CMS for quite a few years to make the lothiansradiosociety.com website easier for a new content editor to handle, and having liked it had also used Joomla for the gmroundtable.org.uk website.
  2. A plugin was added to Joomla on marwynandjohn.uk to try publishing direct to Facebook; that worked well but I didn’t move over to it completely at that stage.
  3. Further reading brought me in contact with the indieweb and gave me a bit of an impetus to think further about exactly how I was going to complete my website reorganisation.
  4. One suggestion from the indieweb was that WordPress seemed to be better integrated than Joomla for this; and with my daughter having found WordPress great for her own blogging site I decided to try a move.
  5. The old Joomla site was first copied to a subdirectory and links fixed to keep it working. The top level Joomla files could then be removed.
  6. WordPress could then be set up and was very quickly running smoothly with the indieweb recommended SemPress template.
  7. Some time was then spent organising content to my satisfaction, then I shifted content by hand to get exactly what I wanted in the new site – there wasn’t enough content to merit the use of a script followed by tweaking.
  8. WordPress plugins were added: Indieweb, Webmention, IndieAuth, …
  9. I decided not to use Gravatar – for the moment I prefer to set my profile photo manually on all the sites (gradually all becoming the same).
  10. I had abandoned Twitter some time ago (I only used it for following high altitude balloon launch experiments) but set up an account again as @JohnGM8OTI partially as a test but also as it’s not Facebook 🙂
  11. Twitter and Flickr link back ok to marwynandjohn.uk but Facebook doesn’t.
  12. I have used the WordPress “AddToAny” plugin for social media sharing to allow posts from my blogs direct to these platforms, when I choose to do it. I don’t want all posts automatically pushed out to other platforms.
  13. WordPress plugin “Facebook Thumb Fixer” makes sure a featured image for a post gets across to Facebook when posted there. This seems fine for now.
  14. There are links to my Soundcloud and YouTube locations added but they don’t have any mechanism for linking back.

That’s about it for now – I can play with the site and add other stuff later as I need it. It would be good to get comments from Facebook back to this site, but at present it appears that Facebook have messed up the mechanism to allow that; I will need to wait and see how that situation develops. If it does before Facebook implodes 🙂