Clock face

Another trip including a further repair to the grandfather clock. I realised last year that I had missed a couple of crucial bearings when making the repairs to the clock mechanism itself. The chime was fine, but the clock stopped after a couple of months. I had completely omitted to check the bearings for the spindle carrying the escapement pallet; they turned out to be very loose, so needed to be replaced. So this visit was to put in replacement bushes for the bearings, which has now been done. So far, all well and good! See below to hear it …

It ticks! Nice and steady, and sounding more solid than it did.

It still chimes too! The repair to the chime mechanism was a repair to several old repairs, probably done by my great grandfather Peter Houghton.